A request for a Papal Blessing, in the form of a printed certificate, should be addressed to the Most Reverend Carlo Maria Viganò, Apostolic Nuncio, at the address listed below. The request must include:
1. A recommendation from the parish priest of the person(s) to receive this blessing, or from a priest familiar with the person(s), attesting to his/her/their good standing in the Catholic Church. The request should be on parish letterhead and bear the parish seal.
- In the case of a wedding, both parties should be Catholics. (For anniversaries, it is sufficient that one of the members is Catholic.)
2. The following information must be clearly typed or written in capital letters:
- the name(s) of the people to receive the blessing
- the occasion to be celebrated (such as weddings, anniversaries of a special nature – 25th, 50th, 60th – special birthdays – 80th, 90th, and so on – religious profession, first communions, confirmations). A general blessing for no specific occasion may also be requested.
- the date of the occasion
- if a wedding or Baptism, the name of the church and its city and state
- the diocese to which the person(s) to receive the blessing belongs
- the address to which the document is to be mailed
3. An offering of $20.00 is customary and should be made by check or money order, payable to the Apostolic Nunciature.
All requests should be presented in writing [The salutation of the Request ought to be: Your Excellency]. Please allow a minimum of three – four weeks. **Requests by fax should be followed by the original hard copy by mail, indicating that it has already been faxed. Requests by e-mail are not acceptable. The Nunciature address is: 3339 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008-3610 and FAX (202) 337-4036.
If a blessing on parchment is preferred, it should be requested directly from the Vatican. The same information (see numbers 1 and 2 above) should be mailed to the “Servizio Assistenziale del Santo Padre, 00120 Vatican City State, EUROPE. [The Salutation of the Request ought to be: Your Excellency]. The customary offering is $45.00, payable to the Servizio Assistenziale de Santo Padre (personal checks are acceptable). Please be informed that it takes 2 or 3 months. The Vatican Office FAX if needed is: 011-3906-6988-3132. Their telephone number is: 011-3906-6988-3135. Email is: email@example.com